What if I disagree with the assessed value of my personal property?

Contact your county assessor if you disagree with the assessed value. Your assessor maintains a file of information on your personal property. If you have any questions about your assessment, you should review this information with the assessor to ensure its accuracy.

If you cannot resolve your disagreement with the assessor, you may appeal to the county board of equalization, which consists of your elected county commissioners. Your appeal must be filed with your county clerk by the fourth Monday in June. If you received your assessment notice in November, your appeal must be filed by the fourth Monday in November.

Be prepared to document your reasons for requesting a change in your property’s assessed value. You will need to prove that the assessor’s value is not the current market value of the personal property.

Show All Answers

1. What personal property is assessed?
2. What personal property is tax exempt?
3. What is a lien date?
4. Who assesses personal property?
5. How does the county assessor know what to assess?
6. When must I report my personal property?
7. What if someone does not report personal property?
8. At What Value Is Personal Property Assessed?
9. What is market value?
10. How do I know what the assessed value of my personal property is?
11. What if I disagree with the assessed value of my personal property?
12. How are my personal property taxes determined?
13. When will I get my personal property tax bill?
14. What happens if my personal property taxes are not paid on time?
15. What happens if I close my business or sell it?