Image Courtesy of Tristan Brown, Teton House Media. River Street Apartments, Hailey, ID
Welcome to Blaine County’s Regional Sustainability Program solar resources. Blaine County, the City of Hailey, and the City of Ketchum are working together to encourage solar energy development in our community. Encouraging solar photovoltaic (PV) energy system is a necessary step in the process of lowering our greenhouse gas emissions and transitioning to a low-carbon future. Its advancement will provide many benefits to the community like boosting our clean energy economy and strengthening climate resilience.
WHY GO SOLAR?
Government, residents, and businesses all have a role in helping to achieve these goals. Solar energy is one solution the whole community can support. It can provide clean, reliable, and affordable electricity that can power the Wood River Valley’s government facilities, homes, and businesses. Furthermore, solar energy is now the cheapest form of electricity generation in the United States. So, it’s not only our planet that benefits from switching to renewable energy sources, you do too!
- Investments in clean energy will boost the local economy and create good-paying, green jobs for the community.
- Clean energy systems also reduce air pollution and lower carbon emissions to help combat climate change and keep our air healthy.
WE’RE MAKING IT EASIER TO GO SOLAR
Blaine County and the cities of Ketchum and Hailey have all been awarded Silver designations through SolSmart. SolSmart is a program of the U.S. Department of Energy that recognizes communities through its SolSmart designations. The designation signals to the solar industry and customers that we’re open for business and ready to support growth in our local solar marketplace.
We are working to expand our current solar generating capacity in Blaine County. The solar generating capacity of Idaho Power customers within Blaine County reached 2.367 megawatts from the installation of 242 solar energy systems. The actions we are taking aim to make solar energy even more affordable, available, and accessible.
Blaine County, Hailey & Ketchum Process Improvements
- Updating our permitting checklist to increase transparency for solar installers and customers.
- Aligning and streamlining permitting and inspection processes.
- Updating planning and zoning requirements to remove unnecessary barriers.
- Training land use planning and building teams on current solar best practices.
- Providing this webpage as a one-stop resource for residents, businesses, and solar installers.