Help Fight Noxious Weeds
Fighting Noxious Weeds
To help fight noxious weeds you can:
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any possible locations of noxious weeds
- Check your property regularly for noxious weeds
- Contact Blaine County Noxious Weed Department for identification and treatment consultation
Treatments: Integrative Pest Management
Physical strategies to help fight noxious weeds include:
- Grazing - repeated removal of top growth prevents seed formation and gradually weakens underground parts, if grazing is properly managed
- Hand Weeding - destroys annual, biennial, and non-creeping perennials
- Mowing - cutting as close to the ground as possible can destroy weeds in areas where cultivation or hand weeding are impractical or impossible
- Tillage - enables the farmer to attack many weed survival mechanisms, preventing seed production in annual plants and destroying the underground parts of perennial plants
Find information on other physical strategies regarding pest management.
Cultural strategies to help fight noxious weeds include:
- Crop Rotations - certain groups of weeds are associated with specific crop rotations and changing the crops can reduce or eliminate repeat, persistent weeds associated with those specific crops
- Plant Competition - one of the cheapest and most useful general weed control available to all farmers. "Survival of the fittest."
- Crop Establishment - generally the first plants to germinate and emerge in an area tend to exclude all others, so work toward a vigorous dense crop
Find information on other cultural strategies regarding pest management.
Biological strategies to help fight noxious weeds include:
- Use of natural agents such as insects, nematodes, fungi, viruses or fish for the control of weeds
- In some instances, grazing animals can be used to harvest and stress noxious weeds
Find information on other biological strategies regarding pest management.
Chemical strategies to help fight noxious weeds:
- The success of 2,4-D when introduced commercially in 1946 launched the present era of herbicides. It is important to understand the basics of herbicides to determine the most effective treatment
- Read and understand all chemical labels when using
Find information on other chemical strategies regarding pest management.