Frequently Asked Questions

1) What happens to my recyclable items?

  • Aluminum - Aluminum is one of the most efficient materials to recycle and earns more revenue than most other materials so generates income that can offset the recycling of other materials. If you have a choice between aluminum cans or plastic bottles—choose cans! 
  • Construction Waste - Approximately 8,000 tons of construction waste and debris goes into the landfill from Blaine County each year! The City of Hailey requires separate bins for cardboard and clean wood waste on site during construction, which will be verified by the program administrators during regularly scheduled inspections. The City of Ketchum requires separate recycling containers for cardboard, metal, plastic, and clean wood waste. The City of Bellevue recommends a construction waste management plan.
  • Corrugated Cardboard - Cardboard is efficient to recycle and earns revenue. Please make sure to flatten all of your cardboard before depositing it in the collection bin. Also ensure your cardboard is dry and free from contaminants or it won't be able to be recycled. 
  • Glass - Glass is crushed and used locally as cover for the construction and demolition pit at Ohio Gulch Transfer Station. Glass is a challenge to recycle because it is heavy, unsafe to transfer and has minimal end markets to purchase it. There is an ongoing effort to research alternatives that truly recycle or reuse glass so continuing to deposit glass in the community collection bins is a good practice to maintain in case a new end market is identified.
  • Plastic - Plastics #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 can be recycled in Blaine County. (Bottle caps need to be removed and black plastic cannot be recycled.) Plastic is energy intensive to recycle and produce so choosing other materials is better for the planet.
  • Plastic Bags and Film - Plastic film (newspaper sleeves, bread bags, product wrap, cereal liners, food storage bags, ice bags, pellet bags, produce bags, dry cleaning bags, grocery bags, packaging air pillows, etc.) are light to transport and are sent out of state to be recycled. They cannot be recycled curbside and most be dropped off in person to a collection location.
  • Paper - Paper goes to be recycled into insulation and hydro mulch. Magazines, cardstock, and any paper product other than office/copy paper and newspaper cannot be used, so these need to go in the trash. For example, cardstock (e.g. cereal boxes) are a short fiber that is at the end of its life, and is not worth recycling. 
  • Yard Waste - Yard waste is collected by the City of Hailey and the City of Ketchum at designated weekends and locations in the spring and fall. Yard waste can also be dropped off at Ohio Gulch Transfer station where it is composted on site due to the program’s regulatory requirements.

2) Do I need to have 3 official Recycles bins?

  • No! You can sort your recyclables in anything from cardboard boxes and wire baskets to buckets and totes as long as it’s sorted and easy for the driver to manage. Please do not use plastic bags to sort your recycling. 

3) Where can I get new bins?

  • You can sort your curbside recycling in any type of container you’d like, but if you’d like to use a blue bin, contact Clear Creek Disposal • • (208) 726-9600

4) Can I recycle paperboard?

  • Blaine County only accepts corrugated cardboard, that is the cardboard with a wavy layer inside. We cannot accept waxed cardboard, card stock boxes, and food contaminated cardboard, such as pizza boxes.

5) Do I put plastic bags in the bin with the plastics # 1-5?

  • No! Please recycle plastic bags in the Hilex Poly bins located at Atkinsons in Ketchum, ERC, the Blaine County Annex building, or the Bellevue Country Store. 

6) Do I have to separate newspapers from other types of paper?

  • No! A newspaper can go in with your printer/copy paper.

7) I seem to be the only one on my street that recycles. How can I encourage my neighbors to recycle?

  • We love this enthusiasm! We work hard to reach out to all Blaine County residents in a variety of ways, but sometimes having a casual conversation with your neighbors about the ease of the recycling process is a good place to start.

8) I live in an apartment building. How can I recycle?

  • Many apartments and condo complexes offer to recycle, and we suggest you check with your property management company or HOA to ensure what is offered. If collection bins are not offered at your property, you can contact Clear Creek at (208) 726-9600 for individual curbside pick up, or take recyclable items to our seven different drop-off locations free of charge.

10) How do I stop junk mail?