Drivers License Types

CLASS A, B & C LICENSES are Commercial Driver’s Licenses (CDLs) that allow a person to operate certain types of commercial vehicles. A commercial vehicle, for driver-licensing purposes, is a vehicle that either has a manufactured gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, is placarded for hazardous materials, or designed to carry 16 people or more. The Commercial Driver’s License Manual which provides detailed information about CDL applications and requirements is available in English or Spanish at our Driver’s Service Desk located in the Blaine County Annex at 219 First Avenue South in Hailey, Idaho. CLASS D LICENSES all drivers to operate non-commercial motor vehicles.

allow people to practice driving a motor vehicle for 180 days when accompanied by an adult (age 18 years old or older) who holds a valid driver’s license. These permits are available if you are at least 15 years old and have successfully completed an approved or accredited driver training program and the Graduated Driver’s Licensing Program (GDL). If you have not successfully completed driver training and the GDL Program, you must pass a written knowledge test and be at least 17 years old to be issued an instruction permit.

MOTORCYCLE (M) ENDORSEMENTS are required on any Class D or Commercial Driver’s License when a motorcycle rider operates on public roadways.

A motorcycle is defined as a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. Tractors and mopeds are not classified as motorcycles. You must pass a written and a skills test before receiving a motorcycle endorsement. If you are surrendering an out-of-state license that has a motorcycle endorsement, you are still required to pass a written motorcycle knowledge test. If your out-of-state license has been expired for 25 months or longer, you will also be required to take the skills test.

The Motorcycle Operator’s Manual which provides detail information about motorcycle endorsement requirements is available at our Driver’s Service Desk located in the Blaine County Annex at 219 First Avenue South in Hailey, Idaho.

MOTORCYCLE INSTRUCTION PERMITS are available for those who want to learn how to operate a motorcycle. You must have a valid Idaho driver’s license to apply for a motorcycle instruction permit. You must also take and pass a motorcycle knowledge test.

    Clean Web Design