Drivers Licensing

Office Hours

The Driver’s Services Desk is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Testing for Class D Licenses is available until 5:00 p.m. Testing for Commercial Licenses is available until 4:30 p.m. Drivers Services is located at the Blaine County Annex Building at 219 First Avenue South in Hailey, Idaho. (Phone# 208-788-5565)

The Driver’s Services desk is responsible for the testing and issuance or renewal of driver’s licenses, driving and concealed weapon permits and identification cards. Car registration or title issuance, VIN inspections, and license plates can be obtained through the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Licensing Information

Anyone who operates a motor vehicle on the public roads in Idaho is required to have a valid driver’s license. Students attending a college or university in Idaho and members of the U.S. Military on active duty and their dependents who hold a valid drivers license from another state or country and who claim residency in that state or country, are not required to obtain an Idaho driver’s license.

Age Requirements

You can be licensed in Idaho when you are 15 years old. However, if you are under 17 years old, you must first successfully complete an approved driver’s training program. Under Idaho’s Graduated Driver’s License Program, you must then complete a Supervised Instruction Period (SIP). After completing the SIP, you will be eligible to apply for a driver’s license. This license will be restricted to driving during the daylight hours only until you are 16 years old.

If you are under 16 years of age, you are only authorized to drive during daylight hours-unless you are supervised by a valid, licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and is sitting in the front seat beside you. No other passengers are allowed in the front seat. Daylight hours are defined as from “1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.”

New Residents

When moving to Idaho you will need to apply for an Idaho driver’s license within 90 days of residing in Idaho, whether your out-of-state license has expired or not. If you have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), you are required to be licensed in Idaho within 30 days of residing in Idaho. You will be required to take a knowledge test. If your license has expired 25 months or more, you will also be required to take a skills test.

If you are a new applicant for a driver’s license, instruction permit, identity card, or driver training permit, you are required to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of Idaho Residency
  • Proof of Age and Identity
  • Social Security Card
  • Visual / Medical Certification (if required)
  • Liability Signer if under 18
  • Non-Idaho Driver’s License or I.D. Cards
  • Foreign Drivers License (if applicable)
  • Driver Training Completion
  • Verification of School  Compliance (VOC) if under 18

Additional information regarding the documents required for licensing, license renewals, duplicate licenses extensions, examinations, and record changes is provided in the Idaho Driver’s Manual which can be obtained at our driver’s services desk located in the Blaine County Annex at 219 First Avenue South in Hailey, Idaho or is available online at the Idaho Transportation Department Driver’ Service link provided:


Clean Web Design