Detention Center FAQ

How do I send or deposit money for an inmate?

How do I send or deposit money for an inmate? You may deposit funds on an inmate’s account using the automated Kiosk in the Detention Center Lobby. The Kiosk accepts cash, debit or credit cards and can be used to post money on an inmate’s trust account, pre-paid phone account and pay medical or housing fees. If the sender is out of the area, money can be put on the account directly at (866)516-0115 or A cashier’s check or money order can be mailed to the Blaine County Detention Center in care of the inmate’s name. The mailing address is 1650 Aviation Drive, Hailey, Idaho 83333, Attention Detention Admin. Assistant.

How do I bail someone out of the Detention Center?

To bail an arrested person out of the Detention Center, you must pay the amount of the bond plus an additional $10 per charge bond fee to the Blaine County Detention Center in cash. Credit cards and checks are not accepted. You may hire a licensed bond agent to post the bond for you. A listing of bond agents may be found in any local telephone directory. Note that in felony arrests a bond is usually not set until the arrested person appears before a judge.

If you post a cash bond, you may be eligible to receive some or your entire cash bond back after the case is finished and the necessary paperwork has been processed. Idaho law, I.C. 19-2923, allows the court to use the cash bond to pay any fines or costs that might have been imposed against the defendant. A Sheriff’s bond fee may be required. If you use a bond agent to post a surety bond, you will not get the surety bond agent’s fee or the Sheriff’s fee back.

What is a bond?

A bond (or bail) is the amount of money in cash, property, or surety that must be paid for an arrested person to be able to leave the Detention Center before his/her case is completed. The purpose of a bond is to make sure that person attends all of his required court appearances. Bond amounts for most misdemeanor charges are generally pre-determined by the court. Felony charges and some special “no-bond” charges require the defendant to appear before a judge to have a bond amount set before being able to post bond and be released.

Any person can post his or her own bond. If the defendant cannot afford to bond him/herself out, any other person age 18 or older can post the bond. If you don’t have the cash to cover the full bond amount, you may wish to hire a professional bail bond agent, who generally charges a fee of 10% of the total amount of the bail required plus an additional bond fee. Contact the bond agent directly for specific information on services and fees. All bond agents are required to be licensed by the State Department of Insurance.

What happens if I posted bond for a defendant and they miss court?

The judge will issue a warrant for the defendant’s arrest and the bond money will be forfeited. If you posted a cash bond for the defendant, there are only two ways you can get your money back:
You must find the defendant and turn him or her back to the jail within 90 days of the bench warrant.
If the defendant is arrested and put back in jail within 90 days of the warrant, you can request your cash bond back.

Fill out the required paperwork and give it to the court. The judge will review it, and, if approved, the cash bond will be mailed back to you. If the defendant isn’t found or arrested within 90 days, the court will keep your entire cash bond.

Please note that a Sheriff’s bond fee may be required.

How do I post a property bond?

Because using your property as bond is a complicated legal matter, please contact your attorney.

How do I visit an inmate?

Current visiting hours at the Blaine County Detention Center are Daily from 9:00 a.m.-11:15 a.m., 12:00 p.m.- 5:45 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Visitors over the age of 18 must present photo identification to see an inmate. Visitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Please go to the Central Control window/phone inside the Jail Lobby to request to see a visitor. After providing identification you will be told which video visitation console to use. Each inmate may receive one visit daily with a maximum of two people (one at at time) for a total of 20 minutes. Visiting hours are subject to change. For a full list of Visitation Rules in both English and Spanish see our Detention page under Services.

Can inmates receive items?

Books, puzzles, games, etc. may be donated to the Detention Center Library but not to a specific inmate. All book donations must be soft-cover, in new condition without water damage, torn pages or ripped covers. Games must be new in the box and wrapped in plastic. After careful inspection donations will be added to the Inmate Library and available for check out. Donations that do not pass inspection will be disposed of.

We no longer accept packages from a publisher with books or games for any particular inmate.

    Clean Web Design