Civil FAQ

How do I have legal papers served?

Legal documents are served by our Civil Department. Click below for more information about the services and fees associated with civil processing.

How do I get a Protection Order?

Contact the Court Clerk’s Office to see if you qualify for a civil protection order  (phone 208-788-5521). The court is located in the Blaine County Judicial Building at 201 First Avenue South, Ste. 100 in Hailey, Idaho. Restraining Orders are another issue and require the assistance of an attorney. For more information see

Can the service fee be combined for two people?

All fees are per service and return (two defendants equals two services/returns even if they are at the same address).

When can I expect to receive the money that was awarded me?

If the defendant does not satisfy the judgment you must decide how you will try to collect. If you have a small claims judgment the following document provides the necessary information to guide you in executing on the judgment. 


Does the Sheriff handle evictions?

Yes. Bring or mail the original and 1 copy (or 2 copies) of the Writ of Restitution, issued by the court, a Letter of Instruction and the proper fees to the Blaine County Sheriff Civil Division. Eviction fees vary; contact our Civil Administrator to determine the exact amount of fees in your case. Please see required documentation page.

How many attempts does the Civil Division make before they return my papers as unserved?

We make at least three (3) attempts on different days and at different times, unless we receive information prior to the third attempt that the party to be served can no longer be located at the given address.

Does a Writ issued to enforce a judgment need to be addressed to a specific sheriff's office?

Yes, the writ must be addressed to the county Sheriff that will be enforcing the judgment.

Can the Sheriff's Office serve my documents if I don't have a physical address for the person to be served?

No. The Civil Division does not provide investigative services to determine the whereabouts of the person to be served. A home, or work, address must be provided.

    Clean Web Design