Please refer to Current Openings listed on the main Career Opportunities page.
Instructions: Follow all directions carefully. Failure to comply with the provided instructions may be grounds for rejection of your application.
- Hiring Documents: Submit fully completed, signed and notarized Application for Employment.
- Review: Submissions for current openings will be reviewed for eligibility and completeness. Incomplete or illegible applications will not be processed.
- Testing: Applicants must pass required testing for the position. See job specifics for each position.
- Interviews: Applicants will be selected for Oral Board and Background interviews.
- Background: All applicants must pass a thorough background investigation for the desired position.
- Examinations: Finalists for certified patrol and detention deputy positions are required to successfully pass medical, hearing, sight and polygraph examinations.
- Offer: A formal job offer will be made to those individuals selected for employment.
To apply for employment you must submit the following fully completed hiring forms:
- Application for Employment
- Notarized Personal Inquiry Waiver
- Cover Letter
- Copies of all required documentation listed on Page 5 of application
A Link to our Application are available to print on the main Career Opportunities page under Hiring Documents. Hard copies are available at the Sheriff’s Office or by mail.
Not at this time; your original signature is required. You must complete and submit a printed application.
If you require additional time to request any of the required documents (ie-birth certificate, diploma, social security card, etc.) from its original source, please reference the specific document missing, the reason and your estimate of the time required to obtain and submit it to BCSO in your cover letter.
Your credit history is used to complete your background investigation. You may provide a full history from any reputable credit source. A free credit report is available at annualcreditreport.com
Blaine County offers a full array of benefits including:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Prescription Assistance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Personal Leave
- Sick Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Pre-Tax Medical and Daycare Cafeteria plans
- PERSI Retirement System
- 11 Paid Holidays; Vacation & Sick Time
- Supplemental Insurance Policies Available
- Available 401K
BCSO HIRING STANDARDS AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a high school graduate or have earned a GED certificate.
- Possess or be able to possess a valid Idaho State driving license.
- Must meet the following age requirements:
- Commissioned Deputy (Detention or Patrol) 21 years of age
- Central Control: 19 years of age
- Records Clerk or Drivers License Clerk: 18 years of age
- Have a minimum of 2 years of any combination of responsible work experience, military service, education, or any other productive activity.
- Not have committed five (5) or more moving traffic offenses within the past 3 years.
- Not have been convicted of any misdemeanor sex crime, crime of deceit, or drug offense. Any criminal probation must already have been served. General misdemeanor convictions are reviewed on a case-by-case basis however:
- NO conviction of any misdemeanor within 2 years of application (includes deferred prosecution and withheld judgments). No current pending misdemeanor case.
- NO Civil Protection Orders or No Contact Orders served or issued against the applicant within 2 years of application.
- NO D.U.I. convictions in the past 3 years (includes withheld judgments).
- NO drivers license suspensions in the past 3 years for violations relating to D.U.I., chemical test refusal or points assessed due to moving traffic violations
- NO conviction for willful concealment or petit theft within 5 years of application.
- NO convictions for domestic battery, child abuse, stalking or voyeurism.
- NO convictions or commission of a felony as an adult; case-by-case review of juvenile felony convictions.
- Meet the following drug usage policy: Failure to disclose past drug usage regardless of meeting these standards will automatically disqualify you for employment.
- NO “soft” illegal drug use in the past 3 years – marijuana or synthetic variations such as “spice”, psilocybin mushrooms, or illegal use of prescription drugs, etc.
- NO “hard” illegal drug use in the past 5 years – methamphetamines, LSD, cocaine, heroin, etc.
- Never received a military dismissal, bad conduct discharge, or dishonorable discharge.
- Not presently planning to file or undergoing action in bankruptcy court in any state (personal or business). Applicants must wait a period of at least 1 year after a bankruptcy before applying for a position, during which they have demonstrated fiscal responsibility.
- Applicants must be of good moral character and not have engaged in conduct or a pattern of conduct that would jeopardize public trust in the law enforcement profession.